Friday, November 16, 2007

A Bit of An Update

Today is Ben's first day on Concerta. I had some problems getting him to swallow it, but he finally got it down. You'd think they'd invent an easier way for kids take this medicine. We've finally bit the bullet and decided that actual drugs might be necessary for Ben. So I'm crossing my fingers that it will make a difference in his hyperactivity and cooperation level. Actually, the last few days at school have been decent, but he's had some very bad days before that, crying, hitting, biting his teachers. At home he's been pretty good more or less, but I haven't been pushing him too hard. Have taken a hiatus from Verbal Behavior, as his Speech Therapist and classroom teacher were not supportive of the sign language goals we have for Ben, and want to use PECS (picture exchange) exclusively instead. I felt I couldn't really fight them if their hearts were not into it. We might as well be unified on some way to communicate. I guess I've been a little depressed about Ben's prognosis lately, and that's why I haven't kept up with the blog. It's hard to keep writing about something that makes you feel lousy. I don't know if he's getting any better, or worse. I can't tell if he's making any real progress. I took him to the doctor yesterday to get the Concerta started, and she thinks there's a possibility that Ben might have scoliosis. She couldn't tell for sure so Ben's going to have to go in for a spinal Xray next week. Just another apple on his plate, I guess. I apologize for being such a depressing read. I'll pick myself up for next time. Bye!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Kris! I have seen kids who have made complete turnarounds when they able to focus. ANd if it takes concerta, strattera or any other drug its worth it. As for progress....take a look back to where he was 2 years ago, or even last year. He IS learning, albeit at a slower pace that the average kid, but he has still made HUGE gains and will continue to do so. Are you in a support group for parents of autistic kids? You need to check that out, you and Rob don't need to try to get through this alone. Hearing other peoples stories can give you the support and hope that you need. AND don't forget to keep praying!!! Ben is truly a gift from God, and you have been blessed by being chosen to be his mama. I love You Sis! Kathy

About Me

My photo
I'm a writer, calligrapher, bookseller, wife and mother to three teenagers.