Sunday, November 27, 2005

A Few Bad Days Can Change Our World

A few bad days is what Ben has had. He's been very volatile and quick to throw tantrums. The yelling increased, and he was difficult to take out yesterday. Surprisingly, this kind of behavior has now become uncharacteristic of Ben. However, it has lead us to conclude that yes, indeed, these changes ARE related to the fact that we've been feeding him "regular" food and not gluten free/casein free food. Hard to believe that diet can be such an influence but it obviously is. I'm sad for Ben, but maybe he'll become more tolerant of regular food as he gets older. I can only hope. All this thinking about food has led Rob and I to a conclusion that we've only toyed with before. We need to find out if altering Ben's diet even further will help him even more. The Specific Carborhydrate Diet (SCD) is basically free of all preservatives, and artifical colors or flavors. There really is no pre-prepared food that Ben will be able to eat on it. No conveince foods, just a lot of cooking for me. It's really strict. I'm planning on starting it the day after Christmas. I will do it earnestly for one month and if we see a lot of improvement we'll keep going. If not, it's just back to the GFCF diet. Right now I have a 4 year old boy with at least moderate autism with not functional words at all. I don't want him to be severely handicapped for the rest of his life. So I have to try all my options, and concerning diet, this SCD diet is my last one. And that's how I feel about it. 'Bye.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm a writer, calligrapher, bookseller, wife and mother to three teenagers.