Thursday, March 23, 2006

Some progress is made

Well, well, well. I hate to be too much of the optimist, because I've been burned before so so many times. . . but Ben did a couple of cool things yesterday. I gave him one drop of NDF plus in the morning for the sake of full disclosure, but I really don't think that has anything to do with it, after all it's just a drop, right? At school in the morning they have a star with each child's name and picture on it on their classroom door. As part of their morning routine, the child picks their name out and puts it on the I"m here sign. Well, Ben is completely clueless about this, he usually just picks the nearest star, no matter who it is, and tries to put it where he's supposed to . Yesterday he actually picked out his correct picture and it wasn't even the nearest one! It's almost like it was intentional. Hmmm . . . maybe it was just luck but he also had a cool report from his TEACCH playgroup. His teacher there cut 5 square holes in a box and gave Ben 5 blocks numbered 1 through 5. She put the number 1 block in the first hole and then, Ben, unprompted, without any visual cues, proceeded to put the 2 through 5 blocks in order in the rest of the holes by himself. His teacher said that he even self corrected when he put the number 4 block in the fifth hole, he took it out and put it in his proper place. Every so often Ben surprises me and today was one of those times.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm a writer, calligrapher, bookseller, wife and mother to three teenagers.