Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Back In the Saddle Yet Once Again . . . .

Okay, we gave in and put him back on the gluten free/casein free diet. And yes, it does make our life harder, but it also makes our lives easier. Instantly, he's started sleeping well again. Hasn't had really any tantrums the past few days, where, on the regular diet, they were a daily occurance. He's still stimmy, but he's always that way. Haven't really figured out what to do to make him want to stim less, other than finding things to occupy him, but obviously I can not do that constantly. We did have a nice little ABA work session today and I think I'm ready to get back on track with that. There are so many things I want to do with Ben, but the magnitude of what he needs versus what I have the time to give him is overwhelming. Started a new supplement called Behavior Balance. Just when I thought I'd run out of new supplements to try, I found one. I guess in one sense I've given up trying to "cure" him, but I can't help holding out hope that some new thing will at least help him a little. I suppose that's the plight of the parent of an autistic child, and unfortunately, it makes us easy target for unscrupulous professionals who prey on people's hopes. But enough of that. I wanted to answer a question submitted about my last post --- Mozart and the Whale in not really a family movie. There are some disturbing stories/scenes in it that I wouldn't want a kid to see or hear, though it might be okay for a teenager.

2 comments:

Steve said...

You may have already covered this in a previous post, but I definitely recommend getting a full allergy workup. We did gf/cf for about 6 months and finally quit. Later on, we finally went through w/ the tests and found that gluten was actually ok, but corn, soy, and oats were out. We've had a lot more success this way.
Good luck!

Kristin said...

Actually, we did get a full allergy workup done when we saw a DAN doctor in June of 2004. His highest allergies were sure enough, wheat(the highest), oats milk, and soy.

About Me

My photo
I'm a writer, calligrapher, bookseller, wife and mother to three teenagers.