Monday, February 19, 2007

1 in 150

Well, I suppose most of you have heard by now but in case you haven't . . . the rate of autism has now climbed from 1 in 166 to 1 in 150. Roughly 1 percent of all boys are autistic! That's crazy! You'd think there's be some national panic going on. I found it funny when they were discussing all the implications of this on the Today show, they were scratching their heads as to why such places as New Jersey have much higher rates than places like Alabama? Pollution perhaps? Well, any parent of an autistic child knows exactly why New Jersey has a higher rate of kids with autism than Alabama does! It's the schools! New Jersey has a great education system, complete with ABA, and a lot of services other states don't offer. People who have kids with autism move there on purpose. And they move away from places like Alabama. No offense Alabama! Any how, that's my two cents on all of that. Ben's sick again. I kept him home from school today. Poor little guy. All in all, he's been a happy little guy but I sure can't wait until the cold season passes. So there it is. I'll write more soon, I promise, but right now I have to go fix dinner.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm a writer, calligrapher, bookseller, wife and mother to three teenagers.