Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Wednesday Morning - off to school!

Ben has started potty training at school and at home yesterday with his therapists. He's had some success, but also some accidents. He doesn't seem to get the fact that he is supposed to put himself on the potty and not wait for someone to tell him to do it. His therapist told me to keep a pull up on him when he's not at school and/or in therapy, but keep taking him to the bathroom every half hour or so. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. Right now, he doesn't seem to care whether he's wet or not, even when wearing underwear. I had kind of a rough morning with him and I'm still recovering. I woke up myself around 3 am and couldn't get back to sleep, though I desparately wanted to. At 5, I heard Ben wake up and try to come downstairs. I brought him back to his bed and told him it was still nighttime and he couldn't get up yet. He accepted this the first two times I did it, and I was able to lounge in bed until about 5:30 before he tried again. This time, he threw a major tantrum when I tried to put him back to bed. He was so loud and angry I'm very surprised the girls were able to sleep through it all. He broke one of my coffee cups by throwing it on the kitchen floor and dumped the water bowl. I felt pretty patient with him as I tried to calm him, but maybe I was just tired. He finally calmed down with the help of some of his favorite music, and sat on my lap for a while, cuddling. While he sat with me, I thought about what's going to happen if he does this when he's 10, or 15. He'll be a lot stronger then. Hopefully, we'll be able to improve his coping skills. If not, I'm afraid we're in for it.

2 comments:

Mark Hadley said...

Kristin, what type of therapy is Ben getting right now. Speech, OT (Sensory), etc.

I know the OT therapy has really helped Rose with her outbursts. She still has them but they aren't as frequent or physically as intense as when she wasn't getting OT.

Kristin said...

Well, right now aside from the ABA four days a week, he gets OT and Speech in school. He used to get OT and Speech outside of school as well, but I can't figure out when he'd have time to do it. I'm planning on starting Speech again this summer if I can get an authorization to the therapist I want him to see.

About Me

My photo
I'm a writer, calligrapher, bookseller, wife and mother to three teenagers.