Thursday, April 13, 2006

I Almost Forgot I Had a Blog . . .

Sorry about that. A lot has been on my mind lately, and I haven't been calling people back like I should or updating this blog either. Sometimes I just feel like I'm barely treading water and if I stop for a microsecond I will sink. Ben has been doing okay lately in my opinion, but not everybody seems to think so. I got his progress report for the third quarter today, and he hasn't made much progress on really any of his IEP goals. His teacher and therapists make comments that his stimming and desire to chew on all chewable things has increased, and he has lost some of his ability to focus. They say he is not interested in learning new fine motor activities. At TEACCH today, the teachers said he was more aggressive such as pinching, scratching and throwing things in the hope of getting a reaction from the people he is with. He's even started the stereotypical autistic head banging recently, though thank goodness he doesn't bang his head very hard. So, it's so easy to be pessimistic and discouraged when talking about Ben. Beth at TEACCH told me that her friend, who is a teacher at the Princeton University Autistic School has done a lot of research into stimming and has said that basically, a child needs to be constantly redirected from stimming in order to break the hold it has over the child. For Ben, that would mean someone watching over him all his waking hours. He wants to stim constantly. It's the first thing he thinks about when he wakes up in the morning. I know they can't give him that kind of undivided attention at school, not with the teacher to student ratio being what it is. I am trying to keep him more occupied at home, but it's certainly not easy, especially with two other children thrown into the mix. On the brighter side, we are going to start consulting services with Casey next week and I think it will be worth it. I just want some support from someone who knows autism and can come into the house and tell me exactly what to do. I'm pretty good at following directions, not so good at treading water on my own. Here's to hope!!!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm a writer, calligrapher, bookseller, wife and mother to three teenagers.