Tuesday, April 04, 2006

I am constantly learning from others . . .

This morning I took Caroline with me over to the house of a former classmate of Ben's. I'll call him Hakim for anonimity's sake. Hakim's family has moved from Saudi Arabia in order to get help for him, though his dad still works there. Hakim is a month younger than Ben and has a lot of the same issues Ben does. His mom started working with the ABA/Verbal Behavior Therapist from Hillsbourgh that we are hoping to work with about 6 months ago. I went there by invitation in order to talk with one of the workers working with Hakim about her experiences and to see what their set up was like. Hakims mother is enrolling him in another school instead of Lincoln Center, a school in Cary that is supposed to be terrific. I wish I could send Ben there, but unfortunately, Cary is not that close and the school is very $$$. Right now I'm reading Stanley Greenspan's new book, Engaging Autism in the hope that I can shed some light on what I'm supposed to be doing. I did get a ray of hope yesterday in that he cut through three lines for me without fussing. He also colored for me, but didn't look at the paper as he was coloring, and he even drew some horizontal lines for me. Nothing to exciting but it's progress, for him anyway.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

"...but didn't look at the paper as he was coloring" - was the paper white? I've heard that autistic children have trouble with the brightness of white paper and do much better with writing/drawing if they're given an off-white or other colored paper. Just a thought.

Kristin said...

Thanks for the tip . . .I hadn't thought about that, but I'll try it!

About Me

My photo
I'm a writer, calligrapher, bookseller, wife and mother to three teenagers.