Sunday, July 08, 2007

More From Washington

Well, I don't have a lot of good news to report, but I do have a little bit. Ben has learned how to shake and nod his head for no and yes. He does this in response to almost any question that he understands, and though he isn't perfect about getting the sign he actually means, he's pretty good. He's actually been doing this for about a month now, since I worked on it, but it's something. I've started a new probiotic called Primal Defense. It's supposed to be the best there is for autistic kids, but it does have some casesin and gluten in it from what I can tell. It's only been a few days so far, and nothing really to report. Ben's spitting is as bad now as it ever has been, perhaps even worse. I guess he's bored. I'm at the point now where the only thing I can do is ignore it. Pretend he's not doing it. Otherwise I'm constantly yelling at him, and that's not healthy for either of us. I want to get our little learning sessions back, but I tried the other day and was met with much resistance. It just shows me how far I've let him slide. He just spit on all his puzzles, on the picture cards, sometimes he just lets the spit hang around his mouth, dropping it and slurping it back in. I know if I asked I would probably be told to just work through it and not to let him get out of doing what I asked by spitting on everything. So that's what I'm going to do. Potty training is on the horizon, looming over me, but as of right now, I can't even really think about it yet.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm a writer, calligrapher, bookseller, wife and mother to three teenagers.