Monday, August 28, 2006

Autism Commercials

I was watching some show on CNN the other night and lo and behold, I saw something I've never seen before ... twice! Autism commercials! There was a little boy being strapped into his car seat by his mother and it said : Chances of your child being in a fatal accident: 1 in 25,000. Chances of your child being autistic: 1 in 166. Then it gave the site Autismspeaks.org. Then the other commercial had a little girl dancing and singing to twinkle twinkle little star and it said: Chances of your child starring in a Broadway production: 1 in 12,000. Chances of having autism 1 in 166. Wow! I felt validated! These commercials are for all those people out there who have no idea what autism is or how it's invading our children. I've actually met a few people who were like what- you mean he likes to do art? Autistic, not artistic. :-) Though some autistic ARE artistic, Ben isn't one of them - yet.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm a writer, calligrapher, bookseller, wife and mother to three teenagers.