Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Ben's Life First Post

Hi, I've decided to keep this blog for myself, as well as for my family and friends who are interested in how Ben is progressing. I just finished giving him his Super Nu Thera and his Evening Primrose Oil. Last night (day two of giving him the Primrose and Cod Liver Oil) Rob was surprised to find Ben actually obeyed his instructions to put a basketball in the hoop at our neighbor's house. The first time Rob asked him. Usually he seems to have no idea what we're talking about so I'll take this as a hopeful sign. His eye contact did seem to be better too. We went to see Dr. Hines in Winston Salem on Saturday and she gave us a whole bunch of things to start. In addition to the Oils, which are fatty acids to help brain function and hopefully stimulate speech, we are going to give him enzymes at meals, and we started chelation with a mild product called NDF Plus. Of course, we are also going to start him on the gluten free, casein free diet, but not until we get back from our trip in early July. The doctor agreed with the chelation part even though he hasn't been tested for mercury levels yet, because the chelator is a non drug one that anyone can take. We believe that mercury may very well be one of Ben's issues. I have over eight metal fillings in my mouth (8 is the point where they start to worry) and I most likely swallowed one while I was pregnant with Ben and Caroline. Silver fillings give off a mercury vapor. It's possible that Ben's vaccines contained thermerisol, a preservative that contains mercury, especially since the military stockpiles vaccines and who knows how old Ben's were. I also ate a lot of tuna while pregnant, probably twice a week. All these could have increased Ben's levels so both Rob and I think chelation might benefit Ben. Of course Ben is going to be allergy tested, mercury tested, metal tested, etc, etc. And he'll be getting B-12 shots every three days. Poor little guy. I don't know if all this will work, but I feel that as a parent, I have to at least try them.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm a writer, calligrapher, bookseller, wife and mother to three teenagers.