Monday, January 23, 2006

Still Doing SCD

Well, Ben's still on the diet. I've not noticed any real improvement yet, but his teacher said he was noticably calmer at school on Thursday and he did great at his therapies this week. At home his is pretty much the same, and if anything, his yelling has gotten a little worse. But he is making some interesting sounds and I think he has been saying nananananana when drawing my attention to the bananas on the refridgerator. Ben's Occupational therapist told me on Saturday that she would classify Ben as being moderate to severely autistic on the Autistic spectrum judging from his functionality. I've been thinking a lot about that lately and trying not to let it depress me too much. He's definitely not a mild case, she said, and I know she's right. Perhaps I have not been willing to face the severity of Ben's impairment. I will have to think about things some more and decide how I want to approach things from here, whether I want to continue pursuing biomedical treatments or should I devote myself to education and therapy. I need some more education on the ABA technique, and something called Verbal Behavior, which is a method used to teach language to autistic children. So many things to read about. I'm finding that I cannot do everything at once, though. I have to take one day at a time.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm a writer, calligrapher, bookseller, wife and mother to three teenagers.