Thursday, January 05, 2006

Immunzations . . .

Luckily, I don't have worry about this right this moment, but I don't know what I'm going to do when Ben's vaccinations come due. Both Rob and I have agreed that we definitely don't want to put anymore vaccinations in him. I read an interesting article on the internet today about a place called Homefirst, a health care agency in metropolitan Chicago, that has treated 35,000 children over the years. A lot of the children (all races) who it treats are homeschooled and unvaccinated. The doctors there say that there isn't a single case of autism in an unvaccinated child. Not one. That's kind of interesting because the Amish of Pennsylvania have recently been in the news because of this. They don't vaccinate their children, and their children don't have autism. The doctors who treat them can verify this. The only two cases of autism in recent years among the Amish came from children who were adopted and vaccinated. Kind of weird, huh? But this leads to my problem. If I want Ben to go to school, I have to have some kind of exemption, and I don't know how to do that yet. If I claim religious beliefs (which some say is my only option) well, it wouldn't be the truth, and then how can I justify having Caroline vaccinated? I could homeschool Ben but I really don't think I'm the best teacher for him . . . I hope Headstart doesn't give me a problem about this next year, but at least he doesn't have to go to Kindergarten until age 5. He was so sweet today, he hugged me all the way down stairs when he woke up this morning. Such a love.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm a writer, calligrapher, bookseller, wife and mother to three teenagers.