Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Gluten Free At Last

Ben has been gluten free since, Sunday, or at least, as far as I know he has. There's gluten everywhere and he's very good at finding days old pieces of food in hidden places. But boy, I've done my best to make the kid gluten and casein free. No miracles have happened yet. He did do two puzzles and a shape sorter for me this afternoon, because I used the greatest of all his motivators. . . food! He's developed a fondness for potato chips (yes, they have no gluten) and these little natural corn puffs I found at the health food store. At least he has a couple of other snacks to eat besides fruit. We started giving him a shot of B-12 every third day and the glutathione cream twice a day. I'm finding it kind of difficult to remember to do everything every day. Supposedly, it takes 2-4 weeks before we'll see any kind of result with the B-12. I'm going to continue the gluten/casein free diet for at least a couple of months, it's really not as hard as I thought it would be, as long as you live near a health food store, and we've got two here in Chapel Hill. I also ordered him a weighted vest from Ebay, in the hopes that it will calm him down and make him more able to work with me and his speech therapist. Right now, he fights it so hard. He's got a real stubborn streak. I can't imagine where he gets it from! ;-) He seems to like summer school, and has adjusted pretty well. He's still VERY hyperactive. We played in the sprinkler and the pool today and that helped pass the day away. I can't wait until school really starts. Six more weeks!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm a writer, calligrapher, bookseller, wife and mother to three teenagers.