Sunday, December 18, 2005

Encouraging progress. . .

Well, Ben made a little improvement last night while I was reading to him before Ben. I usually ask him to point to things in the book as I'm reading, mostly to get him to actually look at the book while I read instead of looking around the room. I used to have to do hand over hand with him and literally MAKE him point, as he would not do it on his own. Lately, he's been responding to what I ask him to point to by putting his whole hand on the picture, not always the right picture, but at least he's doing something when I ask him to point. Last night I put his finger in a pointing position and helped him point and then in between questions, I noticed he was holding his hand in an L shape with his forefinger and thumb stuck out. The next time I asked him to point to something, he used his forefinger! I think he was really trying to figure out pointing but just couldn't make his hands do it on their own. Motor planning is still a hurdle for him, but I'm pleased with his progress!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm a writer, calligrapher, bookseller, wife and mother to three teenagers.