Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Santa Claus Is Coming To Town

Here's a recent dilemma: What does Santa Claus bring Ben? The girls are easy, they are very typical for their age and very vocal about what floats their boat, so to speak. I'm really trying my best not to overdo it this Christmas, but still make it nice for them. Ben is not so easy. In the past, I've given him learning toys, like shape sorters and peg boards, so that he can use them with me assisting him. Last year I made the mistake having Santa bring a train set (Geotrax), a basic one I thought he'd at least have a little interest in. WRONG! He could have cared less about the thing. At least in the past I couldn't go wrong with board books, but now all he likes is spinning things. So, what does Santa bring? Tops? He's actually got enough of those. Grandma and Grandpy gave him one for his birthday that he really likes. Now Ben could actually care less about Christmas or Santa. He doesn't get any of the anticipation the girls have. But for the girls sake and for his, Santa has to come up with something nice for Ben too. So I was pretty proud of myself when I came up with the idea for a sand and water table for our deck. They're not easy to find this time of year because they're seasonal, but I scrounged a pretty nice one up at Toys R Us. Ben absolutely LOVES sensory play and I figure we can use it for most of the year. I'll put birdseed in it instead of water until the winter is over, and there's no chance of freezing. That way there's no clean up. Yay! In my attempt to try to get Ben to play like a normal boy, I bought him a little remote control Wiggles Car. I don't know if he'll get it or not, but it's worth a try. Ben is also getting a Gearation toy, which is a toy with spinning gears, I hope it will be right up his alley. And Lucky Ducks, a rotating duck game for 3 to 6 year olds. I don't know if he'll understand that yet, but he eventually will and the girls will have fun trying to play it with him. So that's what I've come up with. We'll see how it goes. I'm almost done with all my Christmas shopping! Yay!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm a writer, calligrapher, bookseller, wife and mother to three teenagers.