Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Thankful for 2005

I find that, just like Oprah has always said, gratitiude is the way to happiness. I'm trying to instill this in the girls, but it's a hard concept for a child to comprehend. Appreciating what you have just doesn't seem to be as much fun as getting more stuff to them. But as I've gotten older, I realize just how important it is to take stock of what you have, and to be thankful that you have it. So here it goes, my list of thankfulness for 2005. First of all, I'm thankful for my family, both immediate and extended. My children are wonderful, and I couldn't ask for a better husband. He is awesome (as my mother in law recently pointed out!). Katherine is so smart and sweet, Caroline is also smart, passionate and friendly, and Ben, despite his disabilities, is a bright and loving little boy. I am so thankful we traveled to Europe this year, that I finally got to see London and Paris, and I think about them often. We couldn't have made the trip without the help of our family! I am also very thankful for the ARC, who provided us with Hannah and Julia, our respite care workers, towards the end of this year. It is so nice to have some needed help. All in all, I have a wonderful life. I resolve to try to be a more patient person this year, which isn't one of my strong points. I will try to be more mindful of details and to remember, children are delicate! I tend to rush around and not enjoy the process of being a mom and that simply has got to stop. Being a mom is my most important job and I intend to do it well and mindfully, as well as appreciatively. Here's to gratitude!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm a writer, calligrapher, bookseller, wife and mother to three teenagers.